Before embarking on a major renovation, you should take some time to determine the best approach given your budget, timeline, patience and willingness and ability to do some of the work yourself. Here are seven methods:
1) Design-build firm: These firms, which include designers and architects, can manage the project from beginning to end and oversee all the subcontractors. The downside is that they can be costly.
2) Kitchen designer: These firms specialize in kitchens and can often provide a more custom look for your project.
3) General contractor: A general contractor is best for people who know what they want but need someone to manage the project. Because of their relationships with vendors, general contractors often can get discounts on supplies.
4) Specialty kitchen store: These retailers offer discounts on kitchen components and fixtures and custom services.
5) High-end design firm: This is for homeowners who want the best of the best, and don’t mind paying for it.
6) Big-box store: Stores such as Home Depot and Ikea can often get special discounts on labor and can generally offer their services at prices lower than general contractors.
7) DIY: For people who would like to save a ton of money, but are also handy.
If you’re pursuing a bathroom renovation, for example, keep in mind that 50 to 75 percent of the project’s cost will be labor. So it’s important to educate yourself on how to negotiate labor costs or hire a contractor who can do so.